QUARANTINE VIDEO OF THE WEEK OR MONTH
Chad’s Delight – Eyal Vilner Big Band
Times are tough for our friends who are musicians, dance teachers, studio owners, event promoters. Here are ways you can help support them, if you are able:
Regular weekly NYC Swing Dancing events not included in the calendar below:
- Mon: Free 20’s Charleston Class with Yuval & Juls
- Mon: Intro to Lindy Hop 5:30pm & Line Dances 6:30pm
- Mon: Solo dances with Margaret – 6pm; Donation, email for zoom link: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun: College of Swing Era Knowledge– with Joel Plys 10pm
- Tues: Solo Jazz with Akemi; Donation Based – 6:15pm
- Tues: Weekly Tuesday Zoom – SOLO Charleston/Jazz w/ Elena Iannucci
- Tues/Thurs: JitterBlast with Nick Williams; Donation Based – 8pm
- Tues/Thurs/Sun: Solo Jazz with Stina; Donation Based – 7pm
- Wed: Swing Outs Free Dance Class
- Fri: Solo Dance with Margaret – 1pm; Donation, email for zoom link: email@example.com
- Fri: Blues Dance New York, 8pm Virtual DJ set / lesson
- Fri: Friday Night Dance Hall -6:30pm
- Sat: Saturday Sessions with Remy Kouakou Kouame, Virtual Learning Fun-12pm
- Sun: Solo Jazz/Charleston for Beginners – Astoria Park Edition – 3pm
- Sun: Songbook Sessions with the Glenn Crytzer Quartet 2:30-4:30pm
Some news about our friend Ryan Francois. Please take a look and help if you are able.
Note from Eileen:
I’m jumping onto December a little early due to my schedule limitations.
Due to some family 2020 life complications, I have focused on events that information that is readily available, I haven’t had time to chase down events from bandleaders. I will do additional updates as I’m able to find them. Please support our musicians / dance teachers if you are able as we get to the colder months and outdoor opportunities are limited.
So Virtual ILHC will take place online November 27-29, 2020! This year will feature 3 days of stellar competitions, our juniors program and juniors competition, top-level instruction, thought provoking LEDs, and fun dance parties.
Our mission is to respect and honor the spirit of Lindy Hop by hosting an international competition weekend which is organized, performed, and judged at the highest levels possible and inclusive of all nations wishing to participate. With collaboration by Lindy Hop experts, we are coordinating an exciting online experience to showcase our Lindy Hop dance to the world. See our competition details.
YOUR support of the event helps to fuel our mission. ILHC has already incurred expenses related to what would have been the in-person event as well as other yearly costs. You can support by joining in on the fun. Also, because of the financial hard times some of our Lindy Family is facing, we have donation opportunities to give passes to others that may need help to attend.
Our ILHC team will be reaching out directly to our currently registered attendees with information about providing refunds, transfers to Virtual ILHC, or converting part or all of paid registration fees as a charitable gift.
We look forward to bringing you Virtual ILHC 2020 as a reimagined event that brings dancers, competitors, friends and family together in a showcase that celebrates the global Lindy Hop Community!
Saturday, November 28
This Saturday we are going to have a dance. We will meet for 90 minutes at the beautiful front entrance of the Museum of natural history on Central Park West overlooking the park
There is a large open air space with plenty of room for dancing on smooth stone. We have procured a large bluetooth speaker
We hope dancing couples and solo dancers will venture out to dance near us. If you’d like to join us, this is what we ask of you:
•You will bring your own person to dance with, someone you live with or socialize with inside your home; no switching partners
•You will wear a mask
•Please observe social distancing
This is an impromptu event, not connected with anyone. We are trying to make responsible baby steps back to an activity that we love. We hope that people make responsible decisions in who they choose to be near, and we are not trying to create a situation that would put anyone in danger.
Saturday, November 28
Buck And A Quarter In Washington Square
Buck And A Quarter is taking advantage of the weather, playing in Washington Square again this Saturday, 11/28, with Mike Weatherly on bass, John Bianchi and Evan Hamaguchi on reeds, John Landry on viola, Josh Dunn on banjo, Ben Mealer on uke, and more! Join us, 11-1:15.
We’ll try to be in our usual spot on the west side of the park – but if someone beats us to it, look for us on the east side!
Saturday, November 28 & Sunday, November 29
Louis Armstrong Eternity Jazz BandWarm your heart and your dancing feet with beautiful live music and help keep unemployed musicians out of the cold! Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Riverside Park at West 84th Street
2pm – 4pm.
check out the band at www.ostwaldjazz.com
Sunday, November 29
Norma Miller Headstone Dedication
In honor of Norma Miller’s upcoming birthday, ILHC will be broadcasting the live dedication of her new headstone at Woodlawn Cemetery.
The broadcast is free and open to the public on the ILHC Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/lindyhopchamps
Starts at 4:40 PM New York City time.
Please tune in and tell your friends! The whole broadcast will be about one-half hour long and will share much love and respect for Norma Miller.
Organized by the Frankie Manning Foundation in collaboration with ILHC and the friends of Norma Miller
Friday, December 4
Band Camp First Fridays
Every First Friday for the rest of the year, Bandcamp is waiving all fees and giving all proceeds from music sold directly to the artists. Many of our favorite artists have music on BandCamp and have lost practically all their income for the forseeable future. If you have the means and want to support our musicians in the swing scene, please go to Band Camp and check it out. A sample of music available can be found here.
Saturday, December 5
QUARANTINE SPEAKEASY: Repeal Day
Please join us for Repeal Day & the final episode of the year of our All-Star variety show featuring favorite performers streaming live from New York City into your own quarantine speakeasy! REPEAL DAY // Sat. Dec 5th 24th (7-9pm // all times EST):
* pre-show: DJ BRIAN FERDMAN – at 6:45
* intro by PATRICK SOLURI of Prohibition Productions – at 7:00
* music by DENNIS LICHTMAN & TAMAR KORN – at 7:05
* dance by EVITA & LATASHA BARNES – at 7:25
* music by THE HOT TODDIES JAZZ BAND – at 7:35
* Repeal Day Cocktails w/Old Forester – 8:00
* music by SVETLANA & DELANCEY FIVE in Prospect Park – at 8:10
* outro by PATRICK SOLURI – c.8:30pm
* afterparty w/DJ BRIAN FERDMAN; anyone on Zoom can join on video & dance!
* register on Zoom anytime (it’s free & easy) at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_x6fnAGdoSZyGYX8Rd55Smg
* also streams via Facebook Live on the Prohibition Productions page.
* following livestream full show is posted in HD to our Youtube Channel (recommended), or avail on our Facebook video page.
* donate anytime for this episode/cast from Nov 30 to Dec 13th
* $5-10 min. suggested donation (split amongst all performers)
* PayPal direct link https://paypal.me/ProhibitionProd or to “firstname.lastname@example.org”
* Venmo to “@Patrick-Soluri” or Zelle to “email@example.com”
* Dj & “doors” at 6:45pm EST // show starts 7:00pm EST
* Schedule posted on registration & Facebook (subject to change)
* streamed live as a “Webinar” so you’ll only see video of performers (not video of yourself like a regular zoom meeting).
* will also livestream simultaneously from FACEBOOK LIVE