Eileen’s Note: I am continuing to update this blog on a weekly basis, but I’ve turned off my weekly email subscriber updates until the blog has more significant updates to share.
QUARANTINE VIDEO OF THE WEEK / MONTH (DEPENDING ON WHAT I FIND)
- Frankie Manning Emergency Fund is seeking donations for an emergency fund with matching funds to help support full time professionals in the Lindy Hop Community.
Times are tough for our friends who are musicians, dance teachers, studio owners, event promoters. Here are ways you can help support them, if you are able:
Keep scrolling for what’s happening online…. This Week in Swing NYC.
Regular weekly NYC Swing Dancing events not included in the calendar below:
- Mon: Practice with Bobby White
- Mon: Free 20’s Charleston Class with Yuval & Juls
- Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun: College of Swing Era Knowledge– with Joel Plys 10pm
- Tues: Solo Jazz with Akemi; Donation Based – 6:30pm
- Tues: Swing/Lindy Charleston with Elena Iannucci; Donation Based – No class June 30
- Tues: Mother Africa – presented and created by Breai Mason-Campbell
- Tues/Thurs: JitterBlast with Nick Williams; Donation Based – 8pm
- Tues/Thurs/Sun: Solo Jazz with Stina; Donation Based – 7pm
- Wed: Live Stream with Evita – 3pm
- Fri: Solo Dance with Margaret – 1pm; Donation, email for zoom link: email@example.com
- Fri: Creative Balboa with Yurina Shin – 6pm
- Fri: Blues Dance New York, 8pm Virtual DJ set / lesson
- Sat: Saturday Sessions with Remy Kouakou Kouame, Virtual Learning Fun-12pm (Not July 11)
- Sun: Champian Fulton-Live from Lockdown-5pm
July 13- 17 and 2o-24
Dancing Classrooms Summer Intensives
Keep students dancing this summer with courses in Jazz, Swing, Latin Dance, Hip Hop, Ballroom, Contemporary, and MUCH MORE!
Friday, July 17
Solo Jazz with Gaby Cook!
Join us for a solo jazz class with Gaby Cook, a Lindy Hop and Solo Jazz instructor from New York! Gaby has been an active professional dance instructor for the past 15 years and tries to be playful, informative, and honest with her teaching. This will be an all-levels class and is open to anyone, free of charge. Friends are welcome! We’ll post a Zoom link to this event 15 minutes before, and recommend logging in a few minutes early to test your audio, microphone, and video. We look forward to seeing you there!
Hosted by Boston Swing Central – FB event invite
Saturday, July 18
Picnic in the Park with Mike and Glenn (Livestream and Live!)
Join Mike and Glenn (online or in person) for a live duo set in Fort Tryon Park near our apartments from 3pm to 4pm on Saturday the 18th
We’ll be live streaming the music at https://www.facebook.com/glenncrytzermusic/live for your enjoyment. Local friends, come on up to our sleepy little park with a picnic basket and join us! We’ll be setting up on the lawn near the corner of Margaret Corbin Dr. and fort Tryon Pl. No rain is scheduled for the afternoon, but early morning there is a 20% chance, so bring a blanket to sit on just in case it’s damp! Musicians always appreciate your support, but it’s going to be especially important the next few months as we’re totally out of work due to covid. The virtual tip jar is always open at the following locations: Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org Venmo: @glenncrytzer. 3-4pm
***We request that in-person listeners keep 6 feet apart to keep everyone safe and healthy!***
Sunday, July 10
Outdoor Swing Class BYOP
10:30AM we will have a two-part class.
First, Tawni Lanford will teach a 30 minute beginner level solo jazz class.
Tawni will lead a basic warm up, and then a short routine. No experience, or talent required.
Second class to follow.
Spencer Weisbond will teach 45 minute Advanced beginner swing/Lindy Hop. Level 2/3
Brush up your basic swing, and push it to the next level with basic Lindy hop 8 count patterns and styling.
Beginner friendly! (Some experience helpful)
BRING YOUR OWN PARTNER.
NO PARTNER ROTATION.
SAFE DISTANCE IN EFFECT.
Location: The Museum Of Natural History entrance @ 77th St.
Directions: 77th Street between Columbus Avenue and Central Park West. The entrance to the museum is closed off and there is a little cul-de-sac where we will have our class in the shade.
This is a donation based class
Suggested $10-20 for both. Anyone is welcome.
Stone tile floor
20 person maximum